Fox bones update

Although I ended up spending more time in Arizona than I’d anticipated, it meant I had plenty of time to check up on those fox bones I had found and buried back in March. After exactly eight weeks of decomposing in the desert, I dug up everything to see how things were going so far.

Lining the hole with chicken wire turned out to be a good call, since all I had to do was find the edges and then carefully lift everything out!

From what I could tell, the fox bones seemed to be cleaning up nicely, if a little slower than I’d like. If I was able to macerate these and change the water regularly, I feel like they’d be much cleaner by now… and they probably wouldn’t be covered in fungus and that dark, slimy stuff, either. (Is it mold? Is it flesh? I don’t know, but whatever it is, it smells terrible, trust me.)

Still, all of the bones look to be in good shape, and – more importantly – it doesn’t seem like the dry climate is slowing down the process of decomposition too much. There’s almost no skin or soft tissue left on the bones with the exception of the connective tissues, and those always take longer to break down, anyway. After spending a few more months underground, I’m hoping they’ll be clean enough to rinse, bag, and mail home to join the rest of my collection sometime in the fall. I can’t wait to have these bones cleaned up and on display!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: