Degreasing the deer bones

The past couple of weeks haven’t been very exciting for bone cleaning… the water has been looking a little clearer and the deer bones smell a bit better, but progress continues to be slow and not especially noticeable over short periods of time.

The smaller bones have come a long way since I first started macerating them, but I’m starting to feel like I’m getting diminishing returns with the biological washing powder soaks. There’s still some deep-set discoloration left on a bunch of these bones – especially the vertebrae – which makes me think that it might be time to start degreasing them! Since I’ll be flying to Arizona next week and won’t be home until the end of the month, I decided to leave this batch in a degreasing bath for the time I’ll be gone to see if that makes more of a difference than just macerating them.

There’s still some gunk on some of the bigger deer bones, so I decided not to start degreasing that batch just yet. Plus, I’m hoping that macerating one set of bones while the other is degreasing will let me compare the bones from each bath to see if there’s a noticeable difference between the two.

I’m not sure what date I’ll be returning, so it may be June before I get to check on my bones again. Fingers crossed that a month of soaking will give me some good results!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Powered by

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: